KeySoft DMS is part of a set of enterprise management applications promoted by our company as the Total Management System (TMS). The module can be purchased by itself.
KeySoft DMS is a document management solution for optimizing the access to information and for internal processes automation. In addition to a storage area and cataloging of electronic documents, the software offered by Key Soft includes simple and efficient solutions for generation, structuring, encoding, retrieving and accessing documents for free or planned movement of information.
The Document Management System automates the processes associated with creating, reviewing, approving, distributing and archiving documents.
We’ll call Repository the module that allows proper management of documents (deposit of documents).
With a familiar interface (similar to that of Microsoft’s Windows Explorer), the application is extremely easy to use even by users with minimal computer knowledge.
Module core functionality:
- Ease of adding documents;
- Easy retrieval of documents;
- Flexibility in organizing / cataloging documents.
Each of the following subsections contains description of the above specified functionalities and additional features that seek to ease document management and internal processes.
Adding documents in the Repository
There are several ways of adding a document in the Repository:
- Drag&Drop – the simplest and most common method. You can add documents from your local computer, and documents managed by third application allowing this functionality (Example: Drag&Drop mail from Outlook or Outlook Express);
- Select document from the local computer;
- Multiple documents on the local computer (optional, filtering by extension);
- Add recursive (including directory structure);
- Add document in special directory (created by the application at startup);
Structure - organization
Each company has different internal standards. Extremely important is the ease with which the application can be modeled to meet the specific activity.
Besides the classic option of organizing using directories and subdirectories, the Document Management System allows you to tabulate the documents according to their type (Examples: contracts, internal procedures, proposals, etc.). A simple configuration menu allows you to define the types of documents used in the current activity. Subsequently, the retrieval of documents can be made taking into consideration the additional features specified by you.
For each type of document you can define different coding structures.
- document history (who, what and when) – see section “Changes history: Check In – Check Out mechanism”;
- minor and major version releases;
- specify the maximum number of versions kept – important option to save physical space on your hard drives;
- term of validity for the document (document expired or not);
- current document status (free for user editing or in work);
- document status definition (Example: “published” or “draft”. A document found in “draft” status is visible only to those who have the right to change it (see section “Security”);
- local image of a document for each computer (each user gets, or not, the right to keep a local copy);
- notes attached to each version of the document (see TMS – Common Features);
- referenced documents – links between documents (Example: The contract is referenced by Annexes);
- Additional features (unlimited in number, user defined and structured by categories that can be associated with the type of document). See TMS – Common Features.
Changes history: Check Out - Check In mechanism
To maintain consistency of the document (only one user makes changes at a time) and keeping track of changes, KeySoft DMS – Repository has implemented a standard Check Out – Check In mechanism (Block for editing – Update).
To update a document the user must have appropriate rights. Documents locked for editing (Check Out) are indicated visually (red) and the current user is stated. During document editing, other users can view the latest version available on the server, ie, the version available in the moment the user started editing. The moment the document is modified and updated to the server, the user has the following options:
- specify the type of incremental version – minor or major;
- completes a brief description of the changes made in the updated version; this short description is very useful to quickly see changes between versions.
Version available with immediate access (double mouse click) is the latest version. Based on document access rights, users can access previous versions of the document. In addition, depending on the type of document, the users can view differences between any two versions of the same document (functionality available only for text files, html or .doc).
If the user finds that a previous version is “better” than the current version, it may choose to “return” the document to the previous version (roll back). The roll back mechanism will generate a new version of the document, identical with the user-specified version.
KeySoft DMS – Repository includes two search engines:
- Quick Search (by one characteristic or a combination of characteristics of the document);
- Advanced Search (prepared using logic operators: AND, OR, Includes, Excludes, >, <, etc.). This type of search allows the creation of “Search Templates”.
Both types of search may use an expanded set of data managed in the database:
- Key words;
- Properties (see TMS – Common Features);
- Period of creation;
- Modification period;
- Free or locked for editing documents;
- Document type (see section “Structure – Organization”);
For a set of document types, the search can also be performed inside the document!
NOTE:In order to search inside an image document (example: fax), you’ll need the character recognition module (see section “Character Recognition (OCR) from Nuance OmniPage Capture”)!
Warehouse - physical location of documents
It is clear that, at least for now, we can not give up managing documents in a physical format. In many cases, legislation requires documents preservation in a physical format for a given period. KeySoft DMS – Repository is a useful tool in managing documents including the physical format!
KeySoft DMS – Repository offers a graphic tool for defining document storage locations:
- Level (floor);
- Paper case.
There are two options:
- Scan documents and add them to the Repository, and then specify their physical location;
- For each document in a physical format, add a metadocument (virtual folder) with a brief description (or keywords) and then specify the physical location.
In both cases, the physical form of the document is retrieved with ease. In the first case, the document may be found in electronic form; the physical form is consulted only in special cases. In the second case, you don’t need to scan the documents; the brief description (keywords) allows you to quickly find the document and its physical location (see section Document retrieval).
Input - Output registers
KeySoft DMS – Repository provides one (or more! you define them!) electronical Input – Output registers.
The numbering system is defined by you with ease. Based on access rights, official documents entering/leaving the company may be assigned numbers according to the Register.
Advantages of electronic register:
- Automatic allocation of numbers (numbers according to configuration managed by the system);
- The ability to add additional information that may subsequently be used to retrieve the document (ie partner, reference);
- Quick Filter for document retrieval.
Virtual Folders - Metadocuments
Metadocuments are documents/virtual folders, which can have 0 or more attached documents.
- An original physical document may be represented by a metadocument without attachments (it is actually a reference to the original document found in the closet drawer X Y);
- A contract + Annexes can be a metadocument having multiple attached documents (contract and Annex N). It is one of the possibilities of unified management of a set of documents.
Metadocuments are proprietary documents (will not be recognized by other applications). The Document Management System will treat them as any other documents (copied, modified, sent on flows, etc.). See usage example in subsection Warehouse – physical location of documents. Access to such documents is possible only through KeySoft DMS.
Besides the notifications mentioned in other chapters, KeySoft DMS – Repository allows each user to request notifications for events that took place in a directory:
- Add: You’ll be notified each time a user has added a document in the directory;
- Modify: You will be notified every time a user has modified a document from the directory;
- Delete: You will be notified every time a user has deleted a document from the directory.
It is an extremely simple way to notify all concerned about the appearance/modification of certain information.
- Adding / modifying / deleting a working procedure;
- You can define a directory which manages requests for proposal. Salesmen will be notified automatically;
- Similarly, a directory for other requests from the client (support, service, etc.).
You can manage project documents in a folder, all involved are aware of the evolution of documents.
Besides the standard security features included in KeySoft TMS (see TMS – Common Features), there are additional elements that need to be specified:
- Documents are managed on the server encrypted (proprietary algorithm) and compressed. We make sure that documents can not be accessed other than through, and based on defined rights, KeySoft DMS;
- Rights of access to documents can be set both at the director level and document level;
- Users right to view documents can be restricted to documents published (only users with specific rights will have access to unpublished documents);
- Document history acces can also be restructed. Thus, users will only have access to the latest published version of the document;
- There are extensive sets of access rights (view, add, edit, delete, create subdirectories, viewing history).
There are cases where no predefined flows (see Flows ) are available for certain documents and they have an open circuit (Example: incoming faxes). Such documents are received by someone (Example: secretary) and transmitted to the recipient; in turn, the recipient can forward the document to another user (for information, etc..). In this case, use the “Send to user” option (requires KeySoft DMS – Flows license).
You can send the document in two ways:
- Free: send the document to a user/group of users; it is up to them what to do with the document (resend it or not);
- Directed: like a flow with several levels – first to be sent to users X and Y, then Z, then User A and User B, then processing ends.
Each recipient receives notification and has direct access ( mouse click) to the document.
Additional features in the transmission of documents:
- Add a short description (this may be a description of the document or a request for resolution on its content);
- Specify a response time for requests submitted;
- Request a notification at request completion.
The module can not be purchased by itself, but only as additional module for KeySoft DMS – Repository, KeySoft CRM, KeySoft ERP or KeySoft HR. Available features depend largely on the modules purchased. Please contact us for details.
A “Flow” is a logical sequence of steps which formes the company’s internal procedures.
Such internal flows exist in every company, regardless of organizational level. Example: Application for leave. An application for leave always goes through the same steps until a resolution.
Depending on company size, the flow may contain one or more steps:
- Check “staff” – the employee is or is not entitled to the requested time;
- Direct superior approval;
- Department manager approval;
- HR Director Approval;
- CEO Approval;
- Back to HR for registration.
Another example is the flow for approving contracts. Flow module is not limited to KeySoft DMS. Examples of flows can be found in other modules:
Depending on your needs for automating internal processes, additional solutions can be built.
We’ll call “flow Instance” 1 (one) scroll of the flow.
- Flow categories definition;
- Graphical flow definition/visualization;
- Attach multiple documents on flow instance;
- Define working shedule:
- for company;
- for user;
- exceptions for user working schedule.
- with branches (any number of levels), operating in parallel;
- with decision steps based on flow variables (IF step);
- sub-flows (incorporated flows).
- Step responsibles can be users, positions within company or relative positions (direct superior, head of department). One or more step responsibles can be defined. Each responsible receives a priority:
- same priority (first come first served = releases other users);
- same priority to all but with the possibility of a responsible allocation from previous step (Example: The head of the department selects the next step responsible from a list);
- different priorities (If the user having priority 1 is not available, the user having priority 2 will become responsible, etc.).
- Define automated encoding for flow instances;
- Define response time for each step (optional);
- Define automatic action (before) the expiration of the response (optional) – Example: notify superior;
- Flow movement in both directions;
- Pick a return point from the list of flow steps;
- Define rights per state:
- advancing (approval);
- return in any of previous states;
- rejection and completion;
- document modification;
- add documents (unlimited number!);
- delete documents;
- Add comments to each step of the flow instance;
- Documents attached to the flow instance obey the rules of Repository: history, versions, etc.
- Flow instance history;
- Visual and/or e-mail notification upon receiving a request;
- Visual and/or e-mail notification to flow instance initiator upon its completion;
- Visual and/or e-mail notification at the entry/exit/ maturity of a flow instance. These notifications can be sent per:
- position in organization;
- direct superior;
- step responsible head of department.
- History of completed flow instances;
- Free transmission of documents to one or more users. Options:
- setting response time;
- request completion notification.
In addition to Flows and Repository modules, Forms module allows standardization and easy access to standard forms used in the company.
The module can not be purchased by itself but only as additional module for KeySoft DMS – Repository.
Form templates are defined using Microsoft Word, and the application generates a specific interface for each model. There are several important characteristics that recommend the use of Forms module:
- Ability to set access rights to the field level. Thus, certain information can be hidden or can be edited only by authorized persons;
- Limiting the possibilities of editing error. Only certain areas are editable and editing the document can be made using selection lists;
- The form can be automaticaly submitted to flow. The final content of the document is available only to authorized persons;
- Seamless integration with flows. The form definition can specify the flow that will be used as soon as the user finishes editing the form.
Another example is the contract approval flow.
- Simple graphical interface automatically generated by te Forms module;
- Editing rights asigment at field level;
- Multiple types of data entry fields:
- Combo box;
- Date selector;
- Plain text;
- Formatted text (Wordpad type);
- Check box;
- Define categories of forms;
- Possibility of automatic trasmition to a flow instance;
- Ability to save the generated document in the Repository.
Most common KeySoft TMS functionality, becomes available when purchasing the Document Management System.
Product detailsName: KeySoft DMS, v 5.0.1
Category: Document Management
Description: Document management solution for optimizing the access to information and for internal processes automation. In addition to a storage area and cataloging of electronic documents, the software offered by Key Soft includes simple and efficient solutions for generation, structuring, encoding, retrieving and accessing documents for free or planned movement of information.
Languages: English, Romana
Operating systems: Windows Server 2000 and up, Windows XP and up,
Requirements: SQL Server Express 2005 and up, SQL Server 2000 and up, MySQL 5.1 and up, PostgreSQL 8.0 and up, Oracle 10 and up