The Database Apps presented on this web site are developed and maintained using dexgine. They all inherit the same structure and most of the features presented below.
dexgine allows the simple transmission of know-how, at a functional model level, and not in the “cryptic” language of the programmer. The basic prerequisite for the user are the standard SQL database instructions.
dexgine allows multi language development (unlimited number of languages). Maintenance for the application is executed easily, and updating the applications that are in production can be made with a single file, generated by dexgine, that will be loaded on the server (client autoupdate).
The dexgine apps licensing is made per named user. You can find more about licensing on the price list page.
dexgine Applications – Common Features
dexgine offers the developer a set of common, but not mandatory, functionalities. The developer will decide whether or not these features will be used.
- Management for users and user groups;
- Menu level access rights;
- News module;
- Backup and Restore;
- Automatic procedures;
- Desktop notes (sticky notes);
- User preferences – change language interface and password;
- Shortcuts for quick access to menus.
The applications developed using the dexgine development tool are applications that have three interconnected levels (3-tier), each with different functions. Each level can run on a separate computer, or any combination of these levels can be configured on the same computer.
- Database Server: the database server level, it ensures the unitary and consistent storage of data in a single database;
- Application Server: application server level; contains application logic and modeles the data processing rules (business logic);
- Client: the user interface level, contains graphical interface elements (windows, buttons, etc..) that allow the entering/viewing of data.
Communication between the Application Server – Database Server (only if they are installed on different machines) – 100 Mbps LAN.
Communication Client – Application Server.Client may be in the local network, or may connect remotely over the Internet / WAN:
- Local client: network card (LAN access);
- Client remote access (WAN):
- Network card for connecting through an Internet provider;
- Modem (dial-up, GPRS, etc.);
- Remote connection can be made directly to the server or terminal emulation applications (Windows Terminal Services).
In both cases (local client or WAN), communication with the server application is encrypted to ensure confidentiality of information transmitted.
Advantages of 3-tier architecture
- Efficient use of hardware resources (reduce investments in hardware);
- Database Server: A computer with large storage capacity and data backup systems;
- Application Server: A computer with high processing power;
- Client: more computers with lower performance characteristics – requires no storage space and no processing power.
- Consistency and reusability of the code;
- Development and maintenance of the application by applying the simple principle of “divide et impera” three simple and well identified levels are easier to manage than a complex single level.
Hardware and software requirements
Minimum Server Requirements
- Microsoft Windows Server 2000 (or later), Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7;
- Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (or later), Microsoft SQL Server Express (2000 or later), PostgreSQL 8.2 (or later), MySQL 5.1 (or later);
- Visible from the Internet (optional);
- RAM – as required by operating system and database system;
- HDD – according to your needs. In general, the dexgine application server will not occupy more than 50 MB.
The hardware/software demands of the dexgine applications are extremely low. The most important requirements appear depending of the database system used, depending on the number and type of documents managed by the structure and depending on how you use the application.
Example: if you want the connections of the application clients to be made through terminal emulation (Windows Terminal Services), the requirements will be amended as follows:
- Windows 2000 Server / 2003 Server / 2008 Server;
- RAM: 512 MB + 48 MB / user;
- HDD: 20 GB min.
Client Minimum Requirements
The dexgine client is light. The whole logic of the application runs on the server, the client being used only as a GUI for entering, displaying, modifying or deleting data.
In these circumstances, the hardware requirements are absolutely minimal.
- Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7;
- RAM – as required by the operating system;
- Internet access (if applicable).